What is L-Leucine?
Pure Nutrition L-Leucine Powder is an essential amino acid supplement suitable for all active individuals, regardless if you’re an athlete, a weekend warrior, a bodybuilder, or casual gym-goer. L-leucine is arguably the most important essential amino acid for stimulating muscle protein synthesis, with scientists referring to it as the “master switch” of muscle building. Our L-Leucine Powder contains pure L-leucine in its free form, allowing for rapid absorption and utilization by muscle tissue.
Benefits of L-Leucine Powder
Branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) are comprised of three essential amino acids: leucine, isoleucine, and valine. These particular amino acids must be obtained through diet since humans don’t synthesize them endogenously. Research has found that the BCAAs, especially L-leucine, are crucial essential amino acids that regulate muscle protein synthesis (MPS).1 Therefore, supplementing with L-Leucine Powder helps stimulate muscle growth, inhibit muscle tissue breakdown, promote recovery after training, and may even enhance fat loss on calorie-controlled diets.3, 4
While most animal protein and animal-derived protein sources contain some L-leucine, the body has to digest and breakdown the peptide bonds so that it can actually utilize the individual amino acids present in food. Thus, supplementing with free-form L-leucine means the body absorbs this essential amino acid much quicker and doesn’t require the digestive enzymes that are usually necessary for breaking down proteins. This is generally why gym-goers and athletes prefer free-form amino acid supplements before, during, and immediately after training for igniting the muscle recovery process.
This makes L-leucine is a superb option for those who are serious about building lean muscle mass and taking their results to the next level.
Evidence-Based benefits of L-Leucine include:
- Enhance muscle protein synthesis and inhibit muscle protein breakdown1,2
- Promote recovery during and after your workout3
- Support fat loss while protecting lean body mass4
- Encourage healthy insulin function and glucose metabolism4
What Makes Pure Nutrition L-Leucine the Best L-Leucine Supplement?
Pure Nutrition L-Leucine is produced in the USA in a cGMP-certified facility and completely free from fillers, additives, and binders. Our pure L-leucine powder provides 40 servings at 5,000 mg per serving, making it one of the best values on the market. Best of all, it mixes easily with a spoon or shaker cup and comes unflavored so you can add it to any other powdered supplements, such as Pure Nutrition Creatine Monohydrate.
1. Blomstrand E, Eliasson J, Karlsson HK, Köhnke R. Branched-chain amino acids activate key enzymes in protein synthesis after physical exercise. J Nutr. 2006 Jan;136(1 Suppl):269S-73S.
2. Suryawan A, Torrazza RM, Gazzaneo MC, Orellana RA, Fiorotto ML, El-Kadi SW, Srivastava N, Nguyen HV, Davis TA. Enteral leucine supplementation increases protein synthesis in skeletal and cardiac muscles and visceral tissues of neonatal pigs through mTORC1-dependent pathways. Pediatr Res. 2012 Apr;71(4 Pt 1):324-31.
3. Howatson G, Hoad M, Goodall S, Tallent J, Bell PG, French DN. Exercise-induced muscle damage is reduced in resistance-trained males by branched chain amino acids: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2012 May 8;9(1):20.
4. Manders RJ, Little JP, Forbes SC, Candow DG. Insulinotropic and muscle protein synthetic effects of branched-chain amino acids: potential therapy for type 2 diabetes and sarcopenia. Nutrients. 2012 Nov 8;4(11):1664-78.