What is Pure Nutrition Power Enzymes?
Pure Nutrition Power Enzymes is an advanced digestive enzyme complex supplement containing evidence-based, high-potency digestive enzymes that support healthy digestive function and healthy inflammatory processes.*
Digestive enzymes are imperative for health and longevity as they help your body metabolize macronutrients (e.g. protein, fat, and carbohydrates). When your body lacks healthy digestive enzyme production (and function), nutrient malabsorption may occur, causing debilitating symptoms such as bloating, lethargy, malaise, excessive flatulence, diarrhea, and chronic inflammation.
Thus, it is generally beneficial to supplement with digestive enzymes if you experience indigestion or symptoms of nutrient malabsorption. Read on to learn more about how Power Enzymes works in the body, as well as how to use it, and what makes it superior to other digestive enzyme supplements.
The primary benefits of supplementing with Power Enzymes include:
- Support healthy digestive enzyme balance
- Promote the breakdown of carbohydrates, fats, fiber and protein
- Soothe the gastrointestinal tract
- Enhance stomach acid production
- Bioavailable ingredients for maximal absorption
Power Enzymes come packed with a comprehensive blend of digestive enzymes that are necessary for breaking down and absorbing nutrients found in food. Without digestive enzymes, the body can’t metabolize protein, carbohydrates, and fats into energy, which can result in symptoms of nutrient malabsorption.
For example, when the body doesn’t properly break down fats, gastrointestinal aches and pains become common. Supplementing with lipases, the primary fat-digesting enzymes in the body, has been shown to help relieve these issues and promote healthy gut function.1
In some cases, lack of stomach acid (HCl) is a culprit of poor nutrient digestion, which is why Power Enzymes features Betaine HCl to help increase stomach acid production.
Many of the enzymes that the body uses to digest nutrients are present in the stomach - some of which are secreted by the pancreas - and upper gastrointestinal tract.
To ensure proper digestion and absorption of macronutrients, Power Enzymes contains all of the major enzymes required for metabolizing fats, protein, and carbohydrates, including:
- Pancreatin - A mixture of digestive enzymes (lipase, amylase, and protease) that are normally made by cells of the pancreas.
- Lipase Complex - Lipases are the principal enzyme responsible for breaking down fats (triglycerides) that we eat. As we age, the function and activity of lipase enzymes tends to decrease, which has been shown in research to increase the risk of health complications like gallbladder flare-ups, obesity, and elevated blood triglycerides.
- Amylase Complex - Amylase is an enzyme that helps the body breakdown starch/carbohydrates into simple sugar (glucose). Amylase is especially important for supporting healthy digestive function as it promotes the complete digestion of carbohydrates in the small intestine. Research suggests that impaired amylase function can result in undigested carbohydrate fragments that initiate both intestinal and extra-intestinal immune responses, which may cause excessive inflammation.2
- Pepsin - Pepsin is the primary digestive enzymes present in the stomach, and it’s required for breaking down protein molecules into smaller peptides. When the body doesn’t produce sufficient pepsin, protein malabsorption can occur, resulting in lethargy, bloating, flatulence, and impaired muscle protein synthesis.3
- Ox Bile Extract - This provides key bile acids, especially cholic acid, which are necessary for digesting, emulsifying, and transporting fatty acids from food.
- Bromelain and Papain - These are two plant-derived proteolytic enzymes that help the body fully metabolize peptides into short-chain amino acids and isolated amino acids. Papain has even been shown to be a promising clinical intervention for helping patients overcome leaky gut syndrome, hypochlorhydria, and even gluten intolerance.4 Other evidence has shown that papain supplementation by athletes effectively reduced muscular aches and soreness they experienced after training.5
- Hemicellulase, Phytase, and Beta-Glucanase - These are necessary digestive enzymes for breaking down fibrous carbohydrates found in many whole grains, such as oats, barley, potatoes, and vegetables.
For soothing the stomach and reducing gastric discomfort after meals, Power Enzymes also features standardized ginger root extract and peppermint leaf powder.
Experience the Pure Nutrition Quality Differences
Pure Nutrition Power Enzymes is manufactured in the USA in a cGMP-certified facility using high-quality ingredients.
1. Delhaye, M., Meuris, S., Gohimont, A. C., Buedts, K., & Cremer, M. (1996). Comparative evaluation of a high lipase pancreatic enzyme preparation and a standard pancreatic supplement for treating exocrine pancreatic insufficiency in chronic pancreatitis. European journal of gastroenterology & hepatology, 8(7), 699-703.
2. Zevallos, V. F., Raker, V., Tenzer, S., Jimenez-Calvente, C., Ashfaq-Khan, M., Rüssel, N., ... & Schuppan, D. (2017). Nutritional wheat amylase-trypsin inhibitors promote intestinal inflammation via activation of myeloid cells. Gastroenterology, 152(5), 1100-1113.
3. Erickson, R. H., & Kim, Y. S. (1990). Digestion and absorption of dietary protein. Annual review of medicine, 41(1), 133-139.
4. Mamboya, E. A. F. (2012). Papain, a plant enzyme of biological importance: a review. American Journal of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 8(2), 99-104.
5. Dietrich, R.E., 1965. Oral proteolytic enzymes in the treatment of athletic injuries: a double-blind study. Pennsyl. Med. J., 68: 35-37.